Elizabeth Carpenter/ WN Tankard
This quart London tankard was made circa 1750 and is marked by two makers. At times, pewterers would work together to fill large domestic and export orders. The side has Thomas Carpenter hallmarks, that in 1750 were being used by Elizabeth and Henry Carpenter of London, 1748-1770. The inside is marked with a "WN" thistle touchmark (PS5020), probably struck by William Newham of London 1730-1755. The "WN" touch may have been first used in Nottingham by William's uncle, William Newham 1708-1728. The "WN" mark appears to be modeled after his name touch (PS3201). This tankard has a boldly detailed base, lip and handle terminal. The fillet chairback thumbpiece and handle decoration are crisp with little wear. The tankard is in exceptional condition inside and out. It stands 7" tall and has a base diameter of 4 7/8".